Exiv2 manpage overhaul
This is an "umbrella" feature.
Here are my immediate thoughts. When work is performed on the man pages, more ideas will come to light.
- A general section about MetaData and the types (Exif, IPTC, Xmp)
- Explain/illustrate all XMP keys XmpText, XmpAlt, XmpBag and XmpSeq
- Explain how to use XMP namespace registration
- Explain/illustrate charsets for Comment
- Have another man page exiv2examples (5)
- Have another man page exiv2tests (5)
- Consider moving/duplication the information in metadata.html in the man page
It would be a good idea to add a new test "manpages.sh" that executes code to ensure that all example commands in the man pages work!
The build (autotools and CMake) should install the new manpages into the correct locations.
I'd like to make a distinction between sample applications, such as exiv2json and test programs such as error-test.cpp. Both can reside in the directory "samples" and the code is available to developers. However the purpose of sample applications is to illustrate use of the Exiv2 API. The purpose of test programs is to be executed from our test suite.
I'm going to assign this to Alan. Alan, if you don't want to pursue this at the moment, please assign it to me. You are also welcome to defer this for v0.26.
Updated by Robin Mills over 5 years ago
- Assignee changed from Alan Pater to Robin Mills
- % Done changed from 10 to 20
- Estimated time set to 20.00 h
r4156 I've started working on samples/exiv2samples.1
Alan's busy with his new business. I'll take this over.
I've been progress every other Sunday on the 'News' page. Showing progress on this issue will boost the our project % estimates. http://dev.exiv2.org/projects/exiv2/news
I believe the project will complete on time. I put my hands around the project in September at 30% done. We're now about 60% after 3 months. We'll be complete about April.