Project

General

Profile

Bug #923

Editing exif meta data corrupts MPO 3D image files

Added by Georg Eckert over 5 years ago. Updated over 2 years ago.

Status:
Assigned
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
Category:
exif
Target version:
Start date:
30 Sep 2013
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:

Description

When editing metadata (e.g. title, caption, gps-coordinates) of mpo (multi picture object) images, these images cannot be displayed by the original camera or applications like geeqie, anymore. The windows freeware (e.g. via wine) application stereophoto maker is able to restore them.

exiv2 version: 0.23-1


Files

_2012-11-10_17-18-27_.MPO (6.71 MB) _2012-11-10_17-18-27_.MPO Georg Eckert, 30 Sep 2013 11:27
_2013-01-25_11-31-09_.MPO (6.85 MB) _2013-01-25_11-31-09_.MPO correct working file Georg Eckert, 30 Sep 2013 11:42

History

#1

Updated by Robin Mills over 5 years ago

Georg

Thank you for reporting this matter. Can you attach an image to this issue report for investigation.

Robin

#3

Updated by Georg Eckert over 5 years ago

and here is a correct working file

#4

Updated by Georg Eckert over 5 years ago

I think I might have found out what causes the problem:

MPO files contain MPF Exif Information.

The tag MPImageStart contains information where the second image in a MPO image begins. When adding a comment or GPS-Coordinates to a MPO image, the position of the second image changes and MPImageStart has to be updated. I think Exiv2 does not update this tag and therefore programs looking for a jpeg at the position provided by MPImageStart cannot find one.

#5

Updated by Robin Mills over 5 years ago

Georg

Thanks for letting me know about this. I suspect you are correct about this.

Is this matter urgent? I am still very busy with GSoC (Google Summer of Code) and I'd like to defer looking at this until early November. Is that OK?

Robin

#6

Updated by Georg Eckert over 5 years ago

No no,
it is not too urgent. I found a way to repair this as the problem is already known by the ExifTool Developers. But it definitely should be fixed - since it is a important matter. Have a look here - thats a description of the issue by the ExifTool developer: [[http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/standards.html#MPF]]
Take your time and thank you for looking into this.

Georg

#7

Updated by Robin Mills over 5 years ago

  • Status changed from New to Assigned
  • Assignee set to Robin Mills
  • Priority changed from High to Normal
  • Target version changed from 0.24 to 0.25

Georg

Thanks. I'll deal with this after I finish with Google Summer of Code. I hope the fix will be in 0.25 which is slated for the end of 2013.

Robin

#8

Updated by Georg Eckert over 5 years ago

Is there any progress on this?

Georg

#9

Updated by Robin Mills over 5 years ago

Georg

I haven't done anything about this, Georg. I'm surprised I actually accepted the challenge of fixing this as I don't know anything about MPO files.

Robin

#10

Updated by Robin Mills about 4 years ago

  • Target version changed from 0.25 to 0.26

Deferred to v0.26. Insufficient time to deal with this for v0.25.

#11

Updated by Robin Mills almost 4 years ago

  • Assignee deleted (Robin Mills)
#12

Updated by Robin Mills over 2 years ago

  • Target version changed from 0.26 to 0.28

I've put in around 1200 hours of unpaid work to get to code complete v0.26 and closed almost 200 issues. Regrettably, there are only 5 or 6 issues on which I have not been able to work. This is one. Deferred for v0.27.

Also available in: Atom PDF