Feature #1145

Respect Sony/Minolta lenses with shared LensID such as Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II LD

Added by Robin Mills almost 2 years ago. Updated almost 2 years ago.

Status:ClosedStart date:27 Dec 2015
Priority:NormalDue date:
Assignee:Robin Mills% Done:

100%

Category:lensEstimated time:10.00 hours
Target version:0.26

Description

This arose during the investigation of #1143 and is discussed in #1143 and #816. Fix submitted: r4148

tamron.tgz (11.2 MB) Robin Mills, 27 Dec 2015 16:21


Related issues

Related to Exiv2 - Bug #1143: Unable to extract embedded preview from jpg for Sony a77 Closed 24 Dec 2015
Related to Exiv2 - Bug #1144: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC is detected as Tamaron Closed 26 Dec 2015
Related to Exiv2 - Feature #816: Enable detection of Sigma 55-200mm lens Closed 18 Mar 2012

Associated revisions

Revision 4148
Added by Robin Mills almost 2 years ago

#1145. Fix submitted.

I haven't submitted a change to the test suite at this time, however I'll do that when I resolve #1143.

Revision 4149
Added by Robin Mills almost 2 years ago

#1145. Added resolveLensTypeUsingExiftool(). This code is not in service for reasons mentioned in the code.

Revision 4150
Added by Robin Mills almost 2 years ago

#1145. Correction to r4149 to fix msvc build-breaker.

Revision 4154
Added by Robin Mills almost 2 years ago

#1145. Thank You, Michael for providing the test files. I will extract the metadata from your files and add it to the test suite after you have tested this code.

Revision 4158
Added by Robin Mills almost 2 years ago

#1145 Test harness update.

History

#1 Updated by Robin Mills almost 2 years ago

  • Estimated time changed from 2.00 to 3.00

I've added a function resolveLensTypeUsingExiftool() to handle this. I've debugged it. I'm not going to put this into service at this time for the following reasons:

  1. we don't know the path to the file being processed
  2. can't work for a remote file as exiftool doesn't handle remote IO
  3. almost certainly throws an ugly ugly dos box on the screen in Windows
  4. I haven't asked Phil's permission to do this

#2 Updated by Robin Mills almost 2 years ago

From Michael on #1143:

I have taken some sample shots with all my tamron lenses (appended as tar ball). I have chosen the lowest resolution available, but the jpegs still occupy at least 2MB:-(

The lenses are
Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Di II LD
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
Tamron AF 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Macro
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di USD
Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro 1:1
and the jpegs have the focal length in their names.

Thanks for considering Tamron lenses to be recognized by exiv2,
Michael

I've attached Michael's bundle: http://dev.exiv2.org/attachments/download/873/tamron.tgz

#3 Updated by Robin Mills almost 2 years ago

  • Tracker changed from Bug to Feature
  • Status changed from Resolved to Assigned
  • % Done changed from 100 to 30
  • Estimated time changed from 3.00 to 10.00

#4 Updated by Robin Mills almost 2 years ago

  • % Done changed from 30 to 80

Fix submitted. r4156

Michael:
Can you test this on your library of images. I'm sure we'll find something else to fix. However it's close. Here's the output from your test files:

$ for i in ~/Downloads/tamron/* ; do echo ---- $i ---- ; exiv2 -pa --grep LensID $i 2>/dev/null ; done
---- ~/Downloads/tamron/Tamron11-18.jpg ----
Exif.Sony1.LensID        Long        1  Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical IF
---- ~/Downloads/tamron/Tamron17-55.jpg ----
Exif.Sony1.LensID        Long        1  Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical   <---- is it 50 or 55?
---- ~/Downloads/tamron/Tamron18-200.jpg ----
Exif.Sony1.LensID        Long        1  Tamron AF 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] Macro
---- ~/Downloads/tamron/Tamron70-300.jpg ----
Exif.Sony1.LensID        Long        1  Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di USD
---- ~/Downloads/tamron/Tamron90.jpg ----
Exif.Sony1.LensID        Long        1  Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro
After you've tested this, I will extract the metadata from your test files and add it to our test suite as a regression detector. And then we'll be done with #1145.

We're not done on #1143 which is the mysterious Preview. I'm not going to work on that today - however I hope to resolve that in 2015!

#5 Updated by Robin Mills almost 2 years ago

  • Status changed from Assigned to Resolved
  • % Done changed from 80 to 100

Submitted test harness update: r4159. I've set the status to 100%/Resolved which means that I don't intend to do any further work on this.

Michael:
If you find anything relating to this (and I expect you will), please update this issue report and I will investigate. I'll change the status to 'Closed' before we ship v0.26.

#6 Updated by Robin Mills almost 2 years ago

  • Status changed from Resolved to Closed

Also available in: Atom PDF

Redmine Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux